Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Why Lil Wayne Is One Of The Worst Rappers Ever

I don't mean to offend anyone, i'm just calling it how I see it. I don't care if you are a fan of Lil Wayne or if you listen to him, but to say that he is the "best rapper of all time" or to even say that he is any good at all is preposterous. Again, I don't care if you are a fan, but he simply does not have any skill or talent, here is why.

1. Lil Wayne cannot stay on any topic at all. His raps are filled with pointless metaphors, he literally jumps from one metaphor to another, without staying on one topic at all. His metaphors are generally sub-par anyway, they are hit and miss. Sometimes he will have some average metaphors, but most of the time they are so bad it is embarrassing. i.e "i'm hot like dogs" Although I personally am not a fan of metaphors in rap music, I find the occasional metaphor to be tolerable. However I cannot stand an artist like Lil Wayne, who is entirely dependent on metaphors, puns, similies and punchlines. Lil Wayne has never met a bad pun that he did not like.

2. He is completely stuck on the big four: hoes, cars, money, drugs. I almost forgot, he also really likes to remind everyone how he is the best.

3. Most of his lines are either regurgitated from his earlier work, or from some other rapper. I cannot count how many times I have heard the same line with a slight variation on a Lil Wayne song. Not just that, but really Lil Wayne, how many things does "F" stand for in your name? If you have to keep using the same lines, and have to steal lines from other rappers, then you don't have any inherent talent of your own.

4. He kissed Birdman (haha this is a joke, I have absolutely nothing wrong with homosexuality)

5. Most Lil Wayne fans I talk to end up confessing that his beats the best part. Beats are made by producers, not Lil Wayne.

6. He cannot freestyle at all. This one is funny, because people tell me all the time "Lil Wayne can freestyle, look up the videos on YouTube!" I have seen the videos on YouTube, and when I see Lil Wayne freestyle, here is what I see: A radio host tells Lil Wayne to come on the air, he writes a "freestyle" and then raps his "freestyle." (Most of these freestyles use the same lyrics as his songs also) How do I know this, you may ask? Watch this video of Lil Wayne being surprised with a request to freestyle. When he does not have a chance to prepare, he chokes hard.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsyEjQ8a8XI

7. Lil Wayne most likely has ghost writers. I'm not trying to say he definitely does, but when you rap for long enough, you develop some freestyle skills, and as demonstrated in the video above, Lil Wayne does not. His ghostwriters are most likely Ghillie Da Kid or Drake.

There are far more reasons, but I feel this will suffice. If you are still not convinced Lil Wayne is not talented, and you want more proof, comment and let me know, I will write another article.

If Lil Wayne is the best at anything, he is the best at not making sense, rapping about the same stuff, using the same lines, and not having any change in style for the better. Again, I do not care if you like Lil Wayne, but don't ever tell me he is a good rapper, it just is not true.




9 comments:

  1. well said and all can be true, if I can say that this is your own opinion and you are intitled to it.......if he is not good at anything why is he being voted the best ever by so many people.....think about it.....you might be one out of thousands that don't like the boy and will always want to fine something wrong about hime......but there are millions that don't care about peiple like you or what they say.......jealousy will always be hanging around from people like you who don't have any other thing to do but finding faults from succeful and voted the best, honestly, I am a fan and I believe that he is good and he makes a lot of sense to period....Lil Wayne is a good rapper that is why he was voted by many to be the best rapper.....and that is a fact....you are allowed to have your own opinions......you dig?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I totally agree, this is an opinion piece. You are entitled to your opinion as well as I am entitled to mine. I think the reason he is famous is that people enjoy listening to the subjects he raps about, (money, drugs, women) people like his beats, and his music is very energetic and can and will hype you up. I totally understand why you like him and why it makes sense to you, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I was simply stating that compared to the rappers I listen to (I listen to A LOT of rap and hip-hop) Lil Wayne falls completely short of them. Compared to the rappers I listen to, Lil Wayne is one of the worst rappers. He is not the worst rapper, but in my opinion he is not the best. I think the reason people vote him the best is that he is mainstream, and most people do not want to go any deeper with the music they enjoy. They simply hear it on the radio or on iTunes, and do not bother to ever search deep for good music like I do. Do you not think that there are 100's of rappers underground that are better than Wayne? Hell, there are probably thousands of rappers better than my favorite rapper that have not even been discovered yet. I simply think that people need to listen to more rappers before they decide Lil Wayne is the best. Anyway I totally respect your opinion, if that was not clear in my opinion piece. Thank you for commenting and One Love :)
    P.S I am not jealous of his success, and it is not that I have nothing better to do than find faults in him. It is simply that this is my blog, I make money on it, and people follow it for underground rap and hip-hop, and most people who dig deep into music and listen to great underground hip-hop, regard Lil-Wayne as somewhat of a joke. In short, it is sort of my job as a blogger to voice my opinion on this subject. If you would please follow my blog, I am sure you will find some fantastic music that not only means something, but is lyrically amazing as well. Good looking out man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed his music does hype you up and the beats are good but he is a horrible rapper and very dumb

      Delete
  3. I am not convinced. In regards to some parts of your argument:

    1. Wayne has plenty of songs with substance that do not depend completely on metaphors or similes. In fact, he did not implement this style until the Drought 3, which is when he went overboard with that particular style. For some example of thoughtful songs in which he stays on topic: Georgia Bush, Don't Want You To See Me Cry, Young N Blues, Grown Man(Lights Out Version), Something You Forgot, How Can Something, Amen, Pray To the Lord, Trouble, Everything, Fuck The World, Up To Me, Dear Summer, Get Over, Miss My Dawgs, Tie My Hands, All Alone, Hollywood Divorce(his verse), Ghetto Rich (his verse), etc. And as I stated, albums such as "Lights Out", "The Carter 1", and "The Carter 2" contain plenty of coherent material.

    2. Does he regurgitate lines? Yes. But to state that most of his work consist of regurgitated lines is complete hyperbole. As I stated, he became repetitive after the "Drought 3", but that came out in 2007, and has been rapping (on albums) since 1997 (I'm starting with the "Hot Boyz Get It How U Live" album). It appears, in my opinion, that you are only focusing on the latter part of his career.

    3. Gillie has already admitted he never wrote for Wayne, he coached him on his flow/delivery:

    http://www.xxlmag.com/old-main/2006/07/gillie-da-kid-behind-the-music/

    XXL: Were you straight writing verses for Wayne, or was it more of a coaching thing?
    Gillie: No, Wayne had good breath control, so it was really more of a study thing.

    Wayne's improvement as an MC occurred on the underground "Sqad Up" mixtapes, and it was a gradual progression that occurred over a two year period, not an overnight miracle. In regard to Drake, if you listen to his first mixtapes, "Room For Improvement" and "Comeback Season", and compare them to "So Far Gone", it sounds as if he changed his delivery to sound like Wayne, which accounts for the similarities. This happens a lot. Em got some his style from Masta Ace, and Jay Z got his "whisper flow" from Young Chris and other MC's from Philly.

    Whenever, I hear the "Wayne is the worst rapper alive" from a "real hip hop" head, it always appears they have only scratched the surface of his work. Is he overrated? Yes. Worst? Hardly. The "Sqad Up" mixtpaes, "Prefix", "Suffix", "Dedication" mixtapes, "The Carter" series are great pieces of work in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Carter 2.5(the original Carter 2 produced by Mannie Fresh) also contains great material with coherent material.

      Delete
  4. You are so right. Soulja Boy started the destruction of rap and Wayne just decided to choke it out. The fool is more into skateboarding then rap and his "supa dupa" flow is garbage. For anyone to think Wayne has substance, they are the lowest common denominator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my great pleasure to visit your website and to enjoy your excellent post here. Thank you for sharing with us.

    download music

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello friends!! I have read your article and I liked it. You have mentioned about worst rappers but I want to share greatest rappers of all time. Have a look and I hope you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These of course are not "beats" though. Th they're sequences or rhythms. I refuse to dumb down a couple thousand years of music history because some dumb-ass rapper can't use the right word.

    ReplyDelete